Monday, February 06, 2006

Whetstone

About three weeks ago I got my hair cut at Whetstone, an Aveda salon in Dublin. My stylist is from South Africa and had just gotten back from a trip home earlier that week. He looked exhausted. So, I arrive for my haircut and wait a couple minutes. K brings me back to the chair, we discuss a bit about what I want and that I am trying to grow my hair out but the back is annoying me. We decide on a plan and he washes my hair.

While cutting it, we chatted about Brokeback Mountain and how people are getting all upset about the idea that there may have been gay cowboys. He and I laughed at the idea that some of his coworkers still think that gay men are either in theatre or are hairdressers. Obviously homosexuals can do any job and don't have to fit the stereotype. When he was finished cutting my hair, I hadn't had finished my extra yummy Aveda calming tea so he told me to stay and finish it. We chatted more about some opera singer he currently liked, his apartment that he bought, and other things going on. It was really nice. I then finished my tea, got some moisturizer, paid and left. However, I have a hairdresser! I don't think that he really understands or agrees with my vision for my hair but it will come. Sometimes it is just as important to have a connection with the person. Besides, my hair is at an odd stage and he quite likes it short. Well, so do I but I promised John I would grow it out and want to donate it to Locks of Love (in like 5 years when it is long enough)

No comments: