Sunday, February 19, 2006

Guest Writer Edition

Hey Everybody, John here, I thought I would write a quick entry on some observations I've made during the Dublin to London commute. First off is the ubiquitous 'Cheers'

I don't think I've ever encountered a word that has so many different meanings. Not only does it have the obvious usage for when people toast with their pints of bitters but many others. It is often used as 'thank you' for small things. It is also common as 'your welcome' when somebody else uses 'cheers' to thank you for some menial task. (They are English after all and thank you for every little thing.) Perhaps they are saying 'thank you' for the thanks. Most people will end a conversation with a 'cheers' too. I find it a hard word to use properly and never feel very confident with it unless I have a pint in my hand. It feels like there are often too many 'cheers' at the end of a phone conversation.

No comments: