Sunday, February 12, 2006

Happy Birthday John!




Saturday was John's birthday. To celebrate, I made him lasagna and we had some of my friends over for dinner. John wanted a pot luck but I misunderstood. He wanted everyone to bring "their signature dish." I thought pot luck was everyone brings a dish and we coordinate what to bring so that their aren't duplicates and the foods go together. My friends all agreed with me so we had lasnagna, salad, garlic bread, pecan pie, and pineapple upside down cake. M made the cake from her new cookbook that I gave her last week for her birthday. She was very excited about it because I don't know if she has baked a cake before and had never heard of anything like pineapple upside down cake!

The lasasgna turned out pretty well. I made two: one meatastic and one vegetable. The meatastic one had this "bacon" that was packaged similar to breakfast sausage in the States. Given the similarity of packaging, I thought it would be a similar product. Nope. It was basically spam in plastic wrap. It looked nasty but tasted OK in the lasagna. John said it tasted good and that is what matters.

Cooking the lasagna went better than baking the cake last week. John figured out how to get the oven door to open better so I made him open it each time to check on the lasagna and garlic bread. He hadn't realized how broken the oven door was. Basically, the two pieces of the door are coming apart. The repair people said that they will come on Monday. I get to work from home all day to wait for the technician to show up. That should be fun.

The food was good, the company was good and I think John had a good birthday. He said he did anyway. :)

No comments: