Sunday, February 05, 2006

El Mar









As some of you know, I love the sea and the water. I love to watch the waves crash against the coast. I could sit by water for hours. Actually, in graduate school when I was really stressed out, I would walk out of the building I had all my classes in and walk down to the coast of Lake Michigan. I remember sitting there in the spring/fall and just watching the water crash against the coast and watching the people walk by on the path that the campus has near the coast. I would climb onto the rocks and sit on them. It always made me feel better and more balanced. When I was really cold, I would go back inside and start studying/going to class again.

We didn't spend much time by this sea, the Mediterranean, because it was rainy, cold, we were carrying all of our luggage because it was the last day and we had checked out of our hotel, and I "fell" in! I wanted to walk along the sandy coast a bit and had been watching the waves come in ahead of us. So we start walking and I get to the point where some of the waves had come up further onto the beach. They weren't coming up very far at that moment so I walked closer. John warned me that a big wave was coming in so I back up a bit. He warned me a bigger wave was coming in so I turned around and started to try to run. I fell over and the wave came in up to my knees! When I got up, I was covered in sand and wet to my knees. John thought about taking a picture of me in the sea but was more concerned that I was OK. I guess I got to touch the sea like I wanted. :)

No comments: