Friday, February 03, 2006

Gaudi

As some of you know, Gaudi is/was a famous Spanish architect who lived in Barcelona. His most famous work was not started by him and still isn't finished. It is a massive church called La Sagrada Familia. It will be quite impressive if it is finished. It was started in the late 1800s I believe by a different architect. Then Gaudi took over. He also designed Parc Gruel, which we also went to and I will post pictures of.

Gaudi's style is very unique. He was very interested in having his buildings/design mimic/represent nature. In the church, the pillars represent and are shaped like trees. OK, all the scenes from the Bible aren't inspired by nature, but it is a church after all. In the Parc, there are many curvy lines and mosaics. It is really a fascinating place.

While looking at Gaudi's work, I wondered if the word gaudy was inspired by him. Not that I think his work is bad, I don't. In fact, I really liked what I saw. I wouldn't want to live in one of the houses, but I liked to look at them. Anyway, I wondered this because it is so ornate and over the top. I looked up the history of the word gaudy in the dictionary and it is middle English. Nope, no correspondence.

No comments: