Friday, February 24, 2006

fried palm anyone?

A while back, I needed to charge "my" palm pilot. I say "mine" because it is really John's but he won't get it back unless he gets me a new one. I really like having it and am not sure why it took me so long to go digital. People here marvel at it and think it is strange that I have a digital "diary" (aka datebook). They ask lots of questions about it. People generally want to know if it is hard to write in in. Do I like it? Isn't it more dificult to be digital? The answers to these questions are: not too hard to write in it once you get used to it and it has a guide as to how to write the letters, yes I like it a lot, and it is esier being digital. Part of the reason I tried it out was that I am in different placces throughout the week and the Palm is a lot easier to carry around. That and I would forget my diary somewhere on a regular basis. The palm fits easily into my purse so I don't forget it nearly as often. Or lose it as often.

Anyway, I digress because the benefits of an electronic diary over an ordinary one is not the point of this entry. So, sometime after returning back to Dublin from my visit home, I needed to charge the palm pilot. I plugged in the converter and plugged the palm charger into it. I need a converter because the outlets look different here than back home and they have higher voltage. Most of my electronics only need an outlet converter. They do not need a voltage converter/transformer because they have one built in. I thought the palm did also. Wrong. So, I took the palm off the charger the next day and started using it. It warned me that my battery was critically low. I was confused. I put it back on the charger that night but it didn't seem to charge. When John got home that weekend, he realized that I plugged the charger into the wrong converter. I didn't convert the voltage. Oops. He tested a couple things and decided that if we were lucky, it was the cord that was fried, not the charger itself. We went to the electronics store and bought a universal chager cord that would plug into the palm's cradle. We tried it. We were lucky. The charger worked! Now I don't have to worry about what plug to use because it has an Irish one. I just have to figure how to charge it when I am home...

No comments: