Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Quirks of my apartment

On Monday, the repair man came to fix my oven. It isn't fixable because the door is missing an important piece of glass so a week from Thursday I get a brand new oven! I am very excited about this. John asked what was going to be the first thing I cooked in it and I told him I didn't know. He suggested Pineapple upside down cake or lasagna. I told him after eating lasagna for three days at almost every meal, it would definately not be that. But I am open to suggestions. Make suggestions in the comments.

Now that I should have a functioning oven, I thought about all the other different/quirky things in my apartment. First, I have to turn on a switch in order for the stove to work. The switch is red and on the wall by fridge, far away from the stove. I am not really sure what the purpose is but I guess it may help from leaving the oven on, as long as you remember to turn the switch off. The second quirky thing in my kitchen is the fridge. It fits under the counter and has a door cover over it so an observer doesn't know where it is! The knob also comes off so you have to open by opening the other cabinet door or with your foot from the bottom.

My washer is a washer and dryer combo. The dryer somehow is supposed to dry using hot water. I don't really understand it and it doesn't really work so we air dry most of our clothes. The water heater is also strange. I still don't understand it. Basically, there are two separate heaters in the one tank. One tank always heats the water and is about the top half. The other half of the tank heats only when the timer says to. It is timed to heat the water in the morning and evening. It was broken when we got back from Christmas vacation and is now fixed and works better than it did before.

The bathroom light is also quirky. While we were in Barcelona, the light burned out. I got a new light and now it can take up to 30 seconds for it to turn on. Not really sure why but I think I am going to make John take the light out and reinstall it this weekend when he is home.

Oh, my heaters are also a bit strange. Well, they are supposed to conserve energy. I can turn the switches on wall next to them to turn the top and bottom part of the heaters on but if it is daytime, they won't emit as much heat as the evening/night time. That is nice and all but sometimes the furry friends get cold during the day.
Another thing I find interesting here (but not in my apartment) are switches to turn outlets on. There are frequently switches next to an electrical outlet that you have to turn on in order to use the outlet. Work has these. I think they are supposed to be a safety feature but I find them annoying since I often think something isn't working because it is plugged in. However, usually the outlet isn't actually turned on and my mates remind me to activate the outlet.

In happy news, John got a job offer in Dublin today. If he gets his work authorization, he is planning to start his new job March 20! We are very excited about it since it seems like it should be a good job for him.

No comments: