Friday, February 17, 2006

healthcare

People complain about health care in the U.S. Insurance is expensive and far too many people are without it and can't get health insurance. However, health care here isn't perfect, either. I have insurance which costs about 50 Euro a month but can't use it for 6 months unless there is an emergency. A doctor visit costs 50 Euro. I realize that this is much cheaper than back home but the quality of care I have received is far inferior than I received in the States, even in an HMO. When I have gone to the doctor for illnesses, the doctor here hasn't taken my temperature.

When I went in for my sinus infection, the doctor didn't really even do a physical exam. She pushed on my sinuses and agreed I had a sinus infection. She didn't check my ears, my nose, my throat. No real physical exam.

Recently, I had an outer ear infection. When I went in for it, again she didn't take my blood pressure, temperature or examine my throat or nose. She only examined my ears. She took my blood pressure after I asked for a particular prescription. I then asked about annual exams. Well, they don't exist here. Women don't have their first gynecological exam until they are about 25 (I think) unless they have had a certain number of sexual partners. They then get an exam every three years. Basically, at my age, I would get an exam every two years. Also, after a woman has a certain number of normal exams, the frequency decreases. So, as a woman gets older (and her chances of cancer may actually increase), the frequency of exams may decrease. However, in order to keep my new prescription, I have to go to the doctor 2 times a year to have my blood pressure taken! Huh?

At least medicines are less here. My migraine medicine is a fair amount cheaper (even though I was only supposed to get one dose at a time) and my birth control is also a lot cheaper. I can even get Flonase (called something different but same drug) over the counter for less than half the price than at home.

I think the differences in health care here are cultural. First, people don't get the same amount of education in any profession here as they do in the States. I am not sure if I think it is a good or bad thing or just different. Second, and more importantly, people are far more relaxed about health here. They won't do objective tests unless absolutely necessary. People go to the hospital for more things, though.

Vetinary care here is also very different. Caineal has heart problems and fluid on her lungs. She also has some nerve problems in her rear legs. It would have been helpful to know some of these things when I got her but they only did a cursory exam. The vet didn't even do blood tests to test her kidney and liver functioning when I found her! When I had her teeth extracted, they did some bloodwork and things were fine. When I took her back to the vet after she passed out one day, the vet didn't want to repeat the blood tests and doesn't want to take an xray of her to see the exact extent of her heart condition. When I asked about it again and mentioned that my friends/acquaintances who are vets back home and the sources I found on the internet stressed the importance of an xray to determine objectively the state of her heart, the vet said she didn't see a need to do that. I can't help but wonder if Caineal gets different care because she was a stray. But she isn't one anymore. Now she is my furry four legged child. When I take her back to the vet in a couple months for her check back, I am going to insist on an xray. If she still won't do it, I think I may change vets. A mate's sister is a vet and I may go to her. I know I will be a difficult client but I want the best for my little girl. I know her time is limited and I want to prepare for how limited and make the best of what we do have.

No comments: