Thursday, January 05, 2006

reflections on Chicago

While I was home in Chicago/MN/WI, I noticed some things that I really hadn't before. First, I actually heard people's accents in Wisconsin and Minnesota. Before, I knew people had accents (everyone does) but hadn't really heard the Minnesota accent. I guess where I grew up in Wisconsin was too close to it to notice. I didn't notice much of an accent in Chicago.

Another big thing that I noticed was the friendliness of strangers. Maybe it was just the holidays or I gave off different vibes, but lots of people in stores talked to me. Before, no one really talked to me. The clerks at the stores, costumers, the cashiers. It was nice but a little strange. It wasn't just the usual, hi, how are you perfunctory conversation when checking out in line. The cashiers made comments about my purchases and said more than I am used to. Even in Chicago.

Another thing I noticed was the pace of dining out. When I arrived in Dublin, I got frustrated with the lack of service in restaurants and how long meals took. It is hard to get in and out of a restaurant in an hour and a half, even when you are seated right away. You also have to ask for the check and can sit as long as you want before leaving. When in Chicago, it often took effort to stay in a restaurant for and hour. The service was often what would be called prompt. However, I frequently felt rushed. At one place, we got the check before they brought dessert even though the place didn't have that many people in it. At another, they asked us if we wanted dessert as soon as they took the dinner plates away. I think my ideal would be somewhere in the middle. I like being given time to eat but it would be nice not to have to try to get a waiter/waitress's attention whenever I wanted service. I do like not really having to tip, though, because wait staff here make a living wage without tips, unlike in the States.

Overall, I have adjusted well to the slower pace of life I think. I still work a lot but not nearly as much as I used to. I am usually home by 6:00 at night, walk the dog and make dinner. I don't eat much earlier but get a bit more exercise. I also get to take a lot more long weekends and vacations. :)

No comments: