Saturday, January 14, 2006

Closing the Porterhouse

After a tough week, J and I decided that we needed to go to the Porterhouse. Ok, it is common for us to go there. One day this week I had a migraine and couldn't sleep at night for a few days. I got some good ideas and work done when I couldn't sleep, though. I figured out a budget and planned some lessons.

Anyway, that threw my week off as did having to take Caineal to the vet. She passed out late Wed. night and was out for probably about a minute. It took a few minutes for her to get her strength back. The vet thinks that her heart murmur has gotten worse and she has some fluid around her heart. She is now on two medicines, a heart med and one that keeps fluid from building up. I think that she is already starting to feel better and has a bit more energy than she has had for a couple weeks.

So, J and I went to the Porterhouse for dinner and drinking. We got there about 7:30 and it was already pretty full. There was a guy sitting alone at a table with a couple stools by it so we asked if we can share his table. He says sure as long as we don't talk to him. He was reading the paper and doing the crossword puzzle. Or so we thought. So J and I are chatting. J goes to the bathroom and a guy at another table starts talking to me by asking where I am from. He asks a couple questions and then my friend comes back and we stop talking. Later, the guy at our table "reading" the paper asks what time it is and then I go to the loo. When I get back, J is at the table next to the one we were sitting at and a bunch of guys are at the table we were at. Apparently while I was in the bathroom, the guy "reading" the paper asked J a bunch of questions she didn't want to answer. He also was waiting for friends who happened to show up while I was in the loo.

So, now we were at a table with three guys. I ended up sitting next to the guy who had talked to me while my friend was in the bathroom. We start talking about politics because a lot of people like to ask what I think about Bush and American foreign policy. J hates these conversations so she starts having her own with the other two guys. It was an intersting conversation and the guy I am talking to knows a lot about American history and foreign policy. He was almost like an encyclopedia and had an intersting prosody (little flat/monotone ish). So, the night goes on and we seem to be having fun and OK conversation. Then one guy leaves. I go to the loo again and a few minutes after I come back and we had a new round, my friend suddenly says she has to leave now. I had no idea what happened. She was just really angry and she NEVER wastes any beer. She gets mad if the waiters/waitresses take her glass with a sip left. The other guy calmed her down. What I found out later was that the guy talking to me had asked her a politcal question about the Iraq war. I had specifically told him not to ask her political questions becuase she doesn't talk politics. J is fiercely loyal to America and doesn't like it when people diss the country or policies, even if she disagrees with them.

So, we get her calmed down and later the band starts and J and I go downstairs because it is too loud where we were. It was also a bit uncomfortable because only the guy talking to me and antagonizing her, J and I were there (and he was trying to hit on me which made me uncomfortable). So, J finds different seats and I go and join her. Then John comes and we order more rounds. Then my friend C and her friend come after getting done watching "Brokeback Mountain." They start flirting with a few guys and gets a German guy to ask John a question in German to test John's German. We also wonder why a different guy at the bar was cranky (he had left his seat near us to go to a different part after one of the barentders was tapping on the taps). The bar closed at 2:30. That's when we left since they asked us to.

After leaving the Porterhouse, we see the pizza place across the street is open. We go there and have pizza with chips. I missed the late night diners because I think pancakes make much better drunk food than pizza. It soaks up the alcohol better.

We finally headed home about 3:30 AM! I haven't stayed out that late since I was in college. It was a good night. We had fun and definately let off the stress. I wonder if J made it hiking like she wanted to today. John and I had a pretty lazy day. We are planning on going back to the Porterhouse for dinner tonight with our friend M and her boyfriend

No comments: