Monday, January 16, 2006

parent concerns

I continue to be struck by parents responses to me as a Speech-Language Therapist. Most parents are concerned about getting what is needed for their children. Over the years, parents have told me that their only concerned about getting what their children need. Sometimes parents seem to see only their child. I would probably be the same if I had a child. However, as a therapist, I have to look at the bigger picture. I have a number of students/clients on my caseload and have to balance trying to give them the therapy they need along with the other demands of the job.

In college, I took a class on counselling in Speech-Language Pathology. At the time, I thought it was a hokey class. We had to read a self help book and do other "touchy feely" things. We also learned about the grief process that parents of children with disabilities tend to go through. Throughout my career, this class has been invaluable. When I encounter a parent I have difficulty interacting with, I remind myself of the grief cycle. It gives me a different lens to try to understand their perspective. Some parents are angry and stay angry for a long time. Other parents accept the child fairly quickly. Other parents spring into action mode. However, at any time, how parents cope can change. It is my job to try to understand that all people have a different way of living and accept them where ever they are.

No comments: