Monday, May 28, 2007

Two more

So last Tuesday, I blocked out the whole day to deal with immigration and to get my work authorization renewed. I got there at 7:30 AM and to my surprise, the doors were already open. I met the guy at the door who was in charge of giving out the visa tickets (they only give a certain number a day) and he said I had to get my garda card renewed first. So, I then got into a different line to wait for a different number.

While waiting, I was in front of a nurse from the Philippines who had been here 7 years and hadn't applied for citizenship. He was complaining about the process and how long it would take to get the paperwork done. So, I was 11th in line and waited for about 20-30 minutes to be called. I gave the guy all the papers he asked for and he said that he would stamp my passport. He insisted that I didn't need to go through the visa line. He then took my picture for my garda card. I waited longer and got my passport and new card. I looked in my passport and there was only a rubber stamp type stamp in my passport saying I was allowed to stay for two more years. I asked the guy keeping track of the visa numbers and he said he didn't know, I should ask the immigration people if this was really all I needed. I then asked the guy who processed my paperwork and he said, yes, that was all I needed!

So, I was done about 9:00 AM!! I then called a friend who's been through this process just to double check that was all I needed. It is all she has as well. So, a stamp in my passport (just like the ones they use when you enter/exit a country) saying that I can stay until the 22 May 2009 is all I need to work for two more years! Well, that and the garda card that has a code saying I am on a work authorization...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well that went smoothly then! Good for you; I've heard worse stories too.