Saturday, May 19, 2007

Versailles

Since I have developed a fascination with seeing UNESCO World Heritage sites, I really wanted to go to Versailles. Well, that and the people that I know who have been there have said it was amazing. So, on Sunday, we meant to get up early but didn't and eventually made our way on the train out there. As with everything else, there were lines, lines, lines. There was a line to buy tickets. There was a line to get in once you had your ticket. There was even a (long) line to go to the bathroom. There was a line for everything!

However, the palace was quite impressive. I liked that it had audio guide so that you could go at your own pace and learn a bit as you went (not that I remember it). I really enjoy seeing old buildings and learning the history behind them. It is quite impressive that the palace is getting close to 400 years old. It was hard to imagine the opulence that the royalty lived in but not difficult to think why the people wanted them beheaded since the people were starving. I must say that the throne was not nearly as impressive as some others we've seen, though.