Monday, May 28, 2007

Propoganda

In my excitement at being engaged, I went to a couple bookstores to get a wedding planning book and look at wedding magazines. There wasn't much selection for wedding planning books so I ordered a couple off amazon.com and will have them hopefully next week. I found a book on saving money and picked up a couple magazines for fun. A coworker gave me some more magazines from when she planned her wedding.

I looked at the pictures of the magazine and was struck with 1) how ugly a lot of the dresses are in the magazines and 2) how much more expensive dresses are in Ireland than the U.S. (where I will be getting my dress). Because a couple titles sounded interesting, I decided to read an article in one of the bridal magazines. Oops. It is about the most sexist reading I have done, possibly ever. All the propaganda says all attention should be on the bride. The articles talk about "you, you, you" in the singular form. Isn't there a groom???? Isn't he necessary also? Isn't the wedding about celebrating the couple starting a new part of their lives/adventure? I think I'll lay off the wedding magazines. Well, except the Chicago one that a friend of mine is sending me. :)

2 comments:

EAH said...

Grooms are pretty much irrelevant to traditional weddings except as eye candy on the altar. But in this age when a bride's parents often does not foot the bill--those of men who pay for "our weddings" like an equal say. I guess that doesnt go as far as the dress though.

Diane said...

Happy planning to the both of you...Heidi, just don't turn into a "Bridezilla, okay?"