Friday, June 01, 2007

Planning

So, since we've gotten engaged, we have been discussing lots of things about the wedding and trying to reach consensus on our "style." The problem is we don't really know what style we have or want and I have always dreamt about two very different wedding types. So, we continue to research reception sites and try to figure out our budget. And I continue to wait for my planning magazines.

Since I can't really plan much right now, my thoughts have turned to the honeymoon destination. I want something to look forward to. :) I want to put it in my head that I am working for ____. Originally we thought about New Zealand but I'm not sure we have enough time for there since I think we only have 2 weeks (maybe 3) for the honeymoon and that isn't enough time to get there, get over jet lag, and see the country.

So, dear readers, I am looking for suggestions for our honeymoon. :) Here are the criteria:
1. Not in the U.S. (tax reasons)
2. Pretty nature to hike in and I like waterfalls (big ones).
3. Not touristy/tourist trap/resort
4. We want a balance of nature and culture

Update: I forgot to say, we are having the wedding/reception in the U.S. and are planning autumn 2008 but don't have a date set yet. So, for the honeymoon, we could leave from the U.S. or Dublin.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scandinavia is wonderful.
The little bit of Norway that I've been to was spectacular (waterfalls aplenty), relaxing and culturally interesting. Very expensive though.
Sweden and Finland are both beautiful, and there are some lovely out of the way destinations.

laurie said...

why not stay in ireland? donegal has what you're looking for.

so do mayo, clare and kerry.

though i agre with tea and cakes that finland is very beautiful. but you'd need a wedding in summer. pretty dark there after about october.

when IS the wedding?

EAH said...

You could spend time in the basement of a Wi bungalow and the tax men would not need to know.

Otherwize Mexico or Costa Rica.

Anonymous said...

Ahh, autumn. Not Scandinavia then.

Anonymous said...

Costa Rica is good for waterfalls, jungle, ocean, volcanoes, mountains, friendliness and affordability. I have guide books for you!

E says Venezuela is great for waterfalls and horseback riding.

I know one person who had an amazing time in Chili—unbeatable nature & glaciers.

Also, Tiera de Fuego in Argentina.

srh

Diane said...

Morrocco?? great food and atmosphere and combine it with Spain/Portual...