Tuesday, May 01, 2007

More finished objects



Since I can't knit right now because I hurt my wrist from typing 15 reports within 24 hours I thought that I would post pictures of my latest finished objects. Well, other than the hairbands I make. They are great quick projects and functional as well.

Anyway, the finished objects. They are two purses for one of my nieces. They were done on time for her birthday present but I didn't get to mail them so now they are late. :(

The larger one was adapted from a book by Sasha Kagan but made in Louisa Harding yarn with two strands knit together instead of one for added strength since the yarn was quite delicate.

For the smaller purse, which is for an 18-inch doll, I also modified the pattern from Sasha Kagan but here is the actual pattern. The width was 3 1/8 inches and the rectangle was 6 1/4 before I made the flap


Yarn: Louisa harding varigated (not sure of the name of the color)
Needles: 3.5 mm straights
gauge: 1"x1": 8x8

I made the strap first:
Cast On 118 stitches
Knit 3 rows
Cast off 96 stitches (so you still have 22 on the needle)

Then I just knit the bag:
Knit every row until it measures 6 1/4 inches (or desired size when you fold the rectangle in half)
When you have the bag the length you want it when you fold it in half, decrease by 4 stitches per row until 3 stitches are left.
Cast off.

If you want a button hole, when I had one stitch left, I then cast back on enough stitches to make a button hole loop, knit 2 rows and cast off. I didn't put a button hole

You could also make an i-cord for the strap and button holes but I don't know how (and didn't feel like learning that day) and I like the frilly/delicate strap.

No comments: