Thursday, May 24, 2007

Museo de Orsay
















On our last day in Paris (yes, we are nearing the end of the "tour), we went to the Orsay Museum. It was my compromise for not going to the Louvre. I just got overwhelmed thinking about the Louvre and we'd both heard good things about the Orsay. So, we went and were not disappointed. John was far happier in it than I was since there were quite a few artists' works there that he wanted to see. I liked the sculpture and some of the paintings. Since my wrist was hurting, he got the camera and took almost all the pictures of the museum. This is to say, he took LOADS of pictures of art. I won't post too many of them. :)

The Orsay is in an old railway station and has mainly French art produced 1848-1914. The station was built in the early 1900s but became unsuitable for trains and it opened as a museum in the 1980s. Apparently it is best known for having impressionists such as Monet and Renior. However, there is also art by Van Gogh, Cezanne, Degas. The museum even has furniture! Granted I don't know much about art, but how is furniture art?

1 comment:

laurie said...

didn't you find it amazing that you could take pictures in the museum? sure can't do that here...