Friday, August 24, 2007

Dresden

On one of our day trips while in Germany (yes, we are still on the Germany trip posts), we took a day trip to Dresden. We really wanted to go a particular museum because it had a lot of crown jewels in it but it was closed the day we were there. :(

Anyway, I still am not really sure what I thought of Dresden. It was bombed heavily during the WW II and they have rebuilt a lot of things and are still rebuilding some. However, they are rebuilding them to make them look old. So, really they are recreating, or trying to, what Dresden looked like before the war. In the city, you have older buildings that survived the war, buildings that were bombed and restored, and new buildings. While that sounds like a good mix, something about the feel of the city was off to me. I think there were a few things that didn't sit as well with me. First, while I am in favor of restoring buildings that were damaged by bombs, the way it was done seemed to detract from the buildings to me. See, you could see the old and new bricks so the buildings looked like this patchwork. The new bricks just didn't seem to fit in. In the new buildings made to look old: well, I just don't like this style. If it is new, let it look new. I think it looks odd when the bricks are really clean and "shiny" but the style is period. But that is just my opinion...

No comments: