Thursday, August 02, 2007

Bridge collapse

Last night, a bridge collapsed in Minneapolis MN. I heard about it today. My immediate thoughts were of my sister and wanting to know that she was OK. The bridge is was on Interstate 35W going over the Mississippi River. I lived in and went to college in that area for four years. For two years, I drove on the street under that river many many days in college. It was quite eery to read about it, knowing exactly where that road goes. Tonight when I got home, I had an email to let me know that she was OK. She then also called me later and told me that she had been on that bridge earlier in the day!

Tonight, I looked online a bit more and found some pictures on the BBC website. The pictures tell more than the stories probably could. It is just amazing that a relatively small number of people were hurt and killed considering it was rush hour and the bridge was probably packed. I hope that the recovery efforts go as well as they can.

1 comment:

dublinknitter said...

I have been following this story since it happened. The amazing aspect of this, was the efficiency of the EMS...well done to a well planned and prepared disaster plan this city has