Monday, October 02, 2006

Dublin's Expensive

This weekend someone told me that Dublin was the most expensive city in Europe. I found this hard to believe because it was only 13th in the World last year so I leveraged the power of the internet. I found the Mercer Human Resource Consulting website which lists the world's most expensive cities as well as those with the highest quality of life.

Dublin is the 18th most expensive city in the world this year. New York is is 10th while Moscow is the most expensive city. According to Mercer, Zürich residents have the best quality of life with Zürich coming in second. Apparently Germans tend to have a good quality of life also, with three cities in the top 10. Dublin ranks 24th in the world for quality of life. The top US city is Honolulu at 27th. New York ranks 46th while Chicago ranks 41, tied with Washington D.C.

So, Dublin is expensive but apparently it is a good place to live and Dubs have a better quality of life than any Americans. I do find it interesting that Europeans seem to have better quality of life than Americans. I'm not entirely sure how the rankings are made but I do have a better quality of life here than I did back home. I think part of the reason is because I work less and have made different choices.

No comments: