Saturday, October 14, 2006

Silly airline

John and I are trying to figure out if we can go to a Christmas market this year. I have a week long course the first week of December in Belfast. So, I looked up the Belfast International airport because I thought that it may make sense to fly back to Belfast instead of Dublin.

So, I looked up where the good markets are. I then looked at where flights out of the Belfast airport go. Then I looked up which airlines fly in and out of Belfast. continental was listed so I looked up a one way ticket from Berlin Germany to Belfast. I was shocked to see that the cheapest price was 1,880 Pounds Sterling!!!! You might wonder why it is so expensive. Well, it is because the flight goes from Berlin to New York and New York to Belfast!! The travel time would be almost 23 hours (it should be about 3 hours)! Why on earth would Continental fly to New York to go to Belfast? Why not stop in London and then go to Belfast????? Why not stop anywhere else in Europe for that matter?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Above all, the Berlin christmas market is next to unknown here in .de. It's not really that fancy. The best known one is nuremberg but it's totally overcrowded usually.
The best one I've ever been to is the one at Salzburg in Austria. That one's simply beautiful. Plus, as it is right at the northside of the Alps, there's a high probability of snow. And at least for me, the lower bavarian I am, christmas markets NEED snow :)

laurie said...

what is a christmas market, exactly? just a place where you can buy christmas ornaments and such? or something more fancy? this must be a european thing. it doesn't sound like something we have here in the states.

Heidirific said...

I have only been to one Christmas market before which was last year in Munich. Basically, during a Christmas market, the streets of the town are all decorated. Sometimes their are people singing carols or musicians playing. The one in Munich (and I think many others) have mulled wine which is quite tasty. Thanks to anonymous's suggestion, we are going to Salzburg this year. I will post pictures. But no, I don't know of anything else like them in the States.