Sunday, November 04, 2007

drinking

While in Kilkenny, we went into a couple pubs to have a couple pints and sometimes get food. While sipping our pints, I observed the people and noticed some things that I found interesting. First, when I asked for my Bulmers with a splash of black current, they gave me a quizzical look (it tastes really good). After the wait staff/bartenders recovered from that, they always asked me if I wanted a glass or a pint. I always responded that I wanted a pint. I generally don't drink a glass of beer/cider since it looks wimpy and then I'd have to order two eventually.

While watching people, we noticed that the vast majority of women were drinking from smaller glasses. Almost none of them drank pints. We also noticed that many of the women were drinking beer, but they were lighter beers, often things like Coors Light, Budweiser, or Corona. Very few women drank what we classify as "real beer." Meanwhile, most of the men drank Bulmers cider or darker beers from pint glasses. Many ordered bottles but then drank from a pint glass. Only one man drank from a glass. We thought it was strange because it wasn't the proper glass for the beer, so that couldn't be the reason that he was drinking from a glass instead of a pint glass.

To contrast, in Dublin, we frequently see women ordering pints. I rarely get asked if I want a glass or a pint when I order here. People just assume pint unless told otherwise. I also notice a wider variety in what women drink. Men seem to stick to cider and varieties of beer. I wonder what that is. What makes cocktails and wine more of women's drinks while in pubs?

1 comment:

Yvonne said...

I've been led to believe that some men in Ireland (country men more than city) think it's tacky and classless for women to drink from pint glasses. One of my friends (from Offaly) will not buy pints for women. Bottles or glasses only. Not sure of his POV on women drinking Guinness.