Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Perceptions

I once heard a quote that "perception is reality." To some extent, I think that this is true. If you look for the bad, you will find it and your personal reality will be colored by the negativity. However, if you look for positive things, your perception will be colored by this as well.

For a few months now, I have been a bit down about living in Dublin. Relying on public transit sometimes gets a bit tiring, especially when it is cold out and standing in the dark waiting for a bus. The medical system is SLOW here as it can take months for a referral. Currently, the Health Service is in an advertising freeze. No new posts can be created. Existing posts can't be advertised (and therefore filled). This affects the health service as well as any agency getting money from them. And there is no word on when the advertising freeze will be over. Meanwhile, people wait even longer for care. And meanwhile, Bertie got a big raise. Now, I understand that money may being mis-spent in the health service but it isn't good form to give the leader of the country a raise when people are being denied medical care. So recently, I have been affected by the stress levels of people around me and the politics and seeing the negative of living here.

Recently, that changed. I got two tokens of appreciation in one week (which really lifted my mood)! Since then, I have been trying to see how I make a difference. I have been actively looking for the positive things. Like today, I gave a friend a birthday present. She seemed so appreciative that I gave her a present and even more appreciative that I made it for her. :) I also listened to a couple people vent about things that the had encountered and they seemed to feel better afterwards. Recently, I saw a mate was stressed and gave her a quick shoulder/neck massage and she looked so much more relaxed after it. These were all little things that didn't take much time, but they made such a difference in my day and the day of those around me. It is these things that make life happy. Well, that and the pilates class really relaxed me so I am better able to deal with the stress of day to day life...

2 comments:

Yvonne said...

Tag, you're it!

Ha ha!

I so hope I remember that HTML right :)

Unknown said...

thanks for the present. i used them everyday since and i got lots of compliments. You r great!!!