Sunday, September 10, 2006

Security

Since moving to Ireland, I have travelled a far amount. I have noticed that there are huge differences in the security practices of different countries. In the U.S., you have to take your shoes off to go through security. Right now there are also other limitations as to what can be brought on board.

I think that Ireland is pretty sensible. They do their security checks and are strict on what they allow and don't allow but they don't seem to go overboard. When in Germany, I had to prove that my digital camera is a camera by showing the guy a couple pictures. What does that really prove? Why didn't they make me take a picture? To me that would be a more valid proof of it being a camera. Maybe the guy just wanted to see a couple pictures.

When going through security returning from Italy yesterday, a security person took out a cardboard card, put gloves on and asked me to open my entire backpack. I asked him what he was looking for (because in the past when security flagged me it was to confiscate something that I didn't realize I had and that I couldn't take on the flight) and he said "everything." So, I had to open each pocket of my bag and he put this card all around everything. Then he went away and told me that I was OK to go. John said that he was dusting for powder/dust because they were suspicious about the electronics. I guess having my camera, cables for the camera, chargers for John's mobile phone, and batteries for cameras was a little suspicious. The guy in Dublin airport looked at my bag (same stuff in it), looked at me with a sideways glance, smiled and let the bag go.

I am not sure which should make me feel safer.

No comments: