Sunday, September 17, 2006

Wineries

While wandering around wine country, we tried to tour two wineries. The first, the Ketmier winery, which produces the wine that I drank back home, only does tours for tour busses. It looked like a large winery. They let us have free samples and so we tried a bunch of different wines and bought a few. While we were there, a tour bus finished so the place was packed with people on the tour buying wine.
















The second winery that we visited in was in Tramin and makes the wine that I drink here in Dublin. It was a really interesting tour even though it was in German and I didn't understand anything the tour leader said! I just liked to see where "my" wine was made. John translated a little bit for me but he wasn't able to hear the tour leader a lot of the time because of the noise. The winery was pretty busy because it was just before the harvest and they were getting ready.

The Tramin winery is a small cooperative of local growers. I believe that they grow organically as well. The Celtic Whiskey Shop in Dublin sells at least two of their wines. This summer they were frequently out of stock, however. We picked up a couple bottles while at the winery.



















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will have to look for Tramin here in the states. Thanks again for sharing all your pics.