Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Identification

My friend M is trying to buy a different car. She found a car that she wants to buy and secured a bank loan. Today she got a message from the bank that she could bring identification to the bank and then sign the papers. Since she didn't have any ID on her, she ran home during lunch and then took her credit card bill and pay stub to the bank as her identification. Only one problem: the bank didn't accept these as identification! They will only accept a utility bill. She got into an argument with the staff at the bank and then phoned another branch. A different branch will accept car insurance as her identification.

As she told the story to us, another person told us that she can't get a video rental card because she doesn't have two forms of ID for an address! She has her passport and bank statements with her parents' address. She has one bill in her name in her current address. That isn't enough to get a video card!

What is it in Ireland that makes businesses require so much identification? When I got my bank account, they wanted a particular type of utility bill and my passport. I also had to have my government number. Fine, I understand the government number but why are banks so particular about the other types of identification? Why does a video store need such particular identification?

No comments: