Friday, September 15, 2006

A true misadventure

Today I woke up with a headache and a stomach ache. I have also been congested and so I was looking forward to a hot steamy shower to clear my head. When I turned on the hot water tap (faucet), the knob kept turning and water bubbled out and the knob turned all the way off! Since John had fixed the tap before, I phoned him to see how to turn the water off. He explained it to me over the phone and eventually I got the water turned off. I also turned off the hot water heater since it wasn't needed. After turning off the water, I remembered that I hadn't showered yet so I turned a bit of (cold) water back on and filled the tub. I heated one kettle full of water and added it to the bath. It didn't really help. I quickly washed up in the cold bath and went on to work. I was only 15 minutes late. That is quite good for me.

So, my head continued to hurt but I made it to work. I putzed through my day doing administration type work that didn't really take a lot of brain power. Eventually it was time to go home. I left work a little past 4:30 PM. I waited a bit for a bus. I decided that even though my backpack was heavy it was a nice day and that I would walk to a street that had more bus routes and it would give me a bit of excercise. So, off I went and it was a nice walk. After a couple minute wait, I got on my bus and rode. And rode. And rode. At 5:40, I got off the bus (it usually takes about 25 minutes to get home from work) and walked across the Ha'Penny Bridge.

As I crossed the bridge, I dug my keys out of my jacket pocket. I kept walking over the bridge and got to the steps going down. I took the first step. I stepped down and missed the second step. It threw my balance off a bit and I twisted my ankle. As I twisted, the hand holding my keys went up to balance myself. My palm opened. My keys left my hand. They flew over the side of the bridge and then fell, slowly, into the river. Yep, the keys fell into the Liffey. I swore as I watched them fall and sink like in a slow motion movie. I swore some more as they disappeared.

So, frustrated but finding humor in the situation, I started to phone John to see when he'd be home. I tried 5 times. No answer. I then phoned my friend M to see if she'd bring an extra set of keys that are in my office to me. Nope, she was shopping a ways from work. So, I phoned my office mate to see if she had left yet and to ask her to not lock the door. She had left and locked the office door (my office keys were now in the river).

So, I walked to catch a bus and there happened to be one as I got to the stop. 45 mintues later, I got to work. The security guy couldn't find the keys. I had 45 cents credit left on my mobile phone. I finally called my office mate and she drove up to unlock the office. She then drove me to Phibsboro where I could catch more busses. I caught a bus and got home. I got off on the south side of the river so I didn't have to cross it. I got into my apartment at 7:30 PM and phoned John. I tried to send a text to my office mate and M but I didn't have enough phone credit. We then went out to the Porterhouse and had a couple drinks and chicken wings. Now, I am making brownies.

No comments: