Thursday, August 10, 2006

Hotel Confusion

When we book hotels, we frequently do this online. In the past, this has worked out well. This trip, it caused a bit of confusion. First, I booked my hotel in Dusseldorf and very carefully followed the directions provided online once I got there. Two people helped me find my way, one a very nice guy who spoke pretty good English. This guy happened to be going to the same stop as I needed so he told me when to get off the tram and made sure that I knew where I was going.

So, I got off the tram and kept walking. And walking. And walking. I followed the directions but I didn't see the Hotel Eden. I walked all over the area carrying a heavy bag and backpack. And it was hot outside. Finally, I went into the one hotel that I found in the area and conveniently was about the location as my directions. I asked if they knew where my hotel was. The lady looked at my sheet and said that the hotel I was in used to be the Hotel Eden but wasn't anymore. She then asked me a couple times if I had a booking in that hotel. She checked to make sure that I wasn't booked into the hotel that I was standing in and then phoned the Hotel Eden to see if I had a booking there. I did. She then gave me directions to my hotel. I had to take a different tram. I didn't see the tram line that I was supposed to get onto so I just walked.

While walking, a strange guy walked past me. He said something to me but I didn't understand since I don't speak German. I kept walking north, the way I needed to go. Finally, I saw another guy and asked him where my tram line was. However, he didn't speak English. I was able to figure out that a stop was still straight ahead. The strange guy was also waiting at the stop by the time I got to it. He asked me if I wanted coffee, I think. He didn't speak German or English but kept trying to talk to me. When we got off the tram, we got off at the same stop and he followed behind me. I stopped for ice cream so that he was ahead of me (and it was only 80 cents!).

Finally, totally sweaty, I found my hotel. And it was only a 10 minute walk from where I started!

No comments: