Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Adventures in dog sitting

Since Blogger or my Eircom "DSL" is being annoying and not uploading pictures for me, I can't post pictures from Brussels today (or last night). So, last weekend my friend M was stuck for a dogsitter so we offered to do it. Friday after work, I decided that M didn't live that far from work so I would walk. So, I started out walking carrying my heavy backpack. Well, I walked for a little while. Then I walked some more. And more.

After an hour, I was still walking and the sky looked ominous. I had a small Google map but where I was wasn't on the map. So I walked a bit more. Then, I decided that I should look at the map yet again. Then a woman with small children walked by and asked if I was lost. I said that I was and where I wanted to go. She proceeded to give me very detailed directions. After she gave me the directions the first time, she said to turn left and took my left arm to indicate "left." I know my left from my right! Anyway, she gave me the directions three more times and then must have decided that it seemed like I didn't understand because she told me that when I got to a certain point that I should ask for more directions.

So I start out on the new path. I walk a little ways and notice houses decorated in light blue and dark blue. I guessed that there was a match either on soon or recently. So, I kept walking and turned where I was supposed to. Then I walked a bit more, and more and more.

Then it started to rain! At least it was a pretty light rain, not lashing. So, I got to a major street and guessed that it was the one street that hadn't been labeled from the street I was originally on (which I was correct as I found out Sat.). So, after an hour and a half with aching back and shoulders, I arrive at M's house. I then go to her boyfriend's house to get the dogs and bring them back to her house.

Then the adventure began. The dogs are sort of house trained. They are used to being outside all day so when we had them inside, they had a few accidents. We got to clean them up. Also, the older puppy is used to sleeping on the bed. With two people on the bed, that doesn't work very well. She woke us up all night because a 50 pound dog kept getting on and off the bed!

On Sunday, we returned the dogs and then went back to our little kitties. Now I remember why I like kitties better. And why I don't really want a puppy. Older dogs are the way to go for me!

No comments: