Thursday, January 10, 2008

The little things

For a while now, I've been trying to notice the small good things in life. I try to notice the random acts of kindness. I've also been trying to overlook the things that aren't as nice about life. OK, I haven't been doing very well at that. I have been getting better at noticing the little things, though.

Last week I was riding the bus home, and a guy picked up a Brown Thomas bag that was lying on the bus seat. He folded it up and tried to throw it in the bin. By moving the bag, he cleared off the seat so more people could sit. The same guy later moved and gave up his seat so someone else can have it. I thought that was very nice.

Today, one of my mates made a point to find me and asked me if I was OK. Apparently she had noticed that I looked sad a few days ago, and just wanted to make sure I was alright. I told her that I was OK and was just going through a few personal things. She asked again and I assured her that I was OK. She didn't seem all that convinced, but I think she realized I wasn't going to tell her what was up, so she got up and gave me a big hug. This really made my day and is exactly what I needed. Sometimes it is those little gestures that make all the difference.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is such a good idea and should be incorporated into everyone's daily routine. It's hard to be upset with people when you are only looking for their good intentions - not waiting for them to slight you somehow.