Thursday, May 29, 2008

Dyeing workshop

During the May Bank Holiday weekend, I took a yarn dyeing workshop. Three of us took the "class" and Elana and Lisa taught it. I was disappointed with myself for forgetting my camera. I'm really not a "good" blogger. :) Anyway, we had lots of fun and got to play around with color and basically paint the yarn. After painting it, it gets cooked in the microwave, cools, you rinse it and then let it dry. It is now wound and just waiting for the right projects.

In order to get used the process, we first did a little practice skeins. I'm glad that we did because I decided that I liked the colors the others were using better and of course switched to purple. :) The maroon was first.

We then got to dye our own skein of sock yarn! I of course caved into my love of purple (I had planned on dyeing it for John and therefore not purple) and am thrilled with the results. I have decided that it is too pretty for socks and am going to make something lacy out of it. It will be my first "proper" lace from my first hand dyed yarn. :)



Yvonne's hand dyed can be found on her blog. After we finished dyeing our yarn, there was some left over so Lisa and Elana decided to have a bit of a play. They used some left over dye and some Kool-Aid and made a purplicious skein. Apparently they were both thinking of the same purpose of the yarn. I found out this purpose on a little going away do that the girls gave me. :)




And yes, as usual, the kitties wanted to be in on the photo shoot!

No comments: