Thursday, October 04, 2007

breaking in

Making friends can be difficult. Recently, I met up with a friend and we were talking about friendships and meeting people. She asked me if I normally know if I will like someone the first time or two that I meet them. I responded that I do. Usually, I click with someone or don't. I tend to think I am a pretty good judge of character as long as I trust my gut. I am not used to a long warm up period with people before becoming friends. I am used to meeting someone, clicking, spending time with them, and then not seeing them for a while. :)

Here, things are different. I have met many lovely people. Yet, somehow, there isn't that connection, that "spark" with many of them. Sometimes I wonder if it is cultural as the Irish tend to be slow to warm up. A friend recently told me that it took a friend of hers 12 years to make friends after he moved to this country! That is a really long time. I do miss having cultural things in common, like National Public Radio, The Daily Show, and other politics. I sometimes wonder if that is why I tend to get along with other foreign nationals better. Today I had a different realization, people who I get along with immediately also tend to love purple. Is it possible that there are certain personality traits that draw you to a particular color? I have also realized recently that I tend to get along well with other females (but not males) who have the same astrological sign as me. Hmm...

5 comments:

Yvonne said...

It does take a while to get in with the irish. I think part of it is because we (the imports) don't have 'history' here. We don't have school friends, or college friends, we have to meet people when they already have their whole social network established.

It's taken a while, but I think I have friends here. But the easiest time I've had making new friends is with other people who were new to the area (not necessarily non-irish, but non-dubs).

Heidirific said...

I think it is partially the "history" as well. Sometimes it can be hard to include new people when you have friends already. Knitting has certainly helped me make friends and have met many really friendly and genuine people there :)

Yvonne said...

Knitters rock :)

marta said...

That's why we get along so well. I'm a Brazilian Virgo and I love purple! I had no idea you were German though... Silly me :) I hope to see you soon in Rathmines or the City Centre meetings.

Heidirific said...

Marta, I'm not German. :) People seem to be thrown by my using the German names for things in Germany and that we go there pretty often. I am planning on going to the city Centre group next time. The Tuesday groups are hard for me to get to but I will try...