Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Happy year to me

Last Wednesday was the one year anniversary of moving to Dublin. Today is the one year anniversary of starting my current job. I say Happy Anniversary to me.

The last couple weeks, I have been reflecting on what I have learned by moving abroad. First, the last few months have flown by. Last summer was long, mostly because I was alone in the city and learning a new place. However, since the new year, time has flown by.

Ok, so what have I learned since moving to Dublin? Well, I like living in a different place. I didn't have to move to another country to learn that but I like having a different system. It is interesting for me to learn a new educational system and figure out what I like better about the one here and the one in the States. Things here are also a lot more laid back. I like the slower pace even though it drove me crazy at first. Now I also move at a bit slower pace. I don't work nearly as much as I did in the States. I also like having a life. I didn't know what to do with myself back home when I had free time. Here, I fill it up quite well. I don't spend that much more time at home but I spend a lot more time away from work.

Having a car is convenient but it is also nice not to have one. I should really learn to drive here since people want to come and visit and travel around. Public transport can only take you so far and I am a nervous passenger.

Also, people here are nice on a couple different levels. There is the surface nice that is pleasant but not truly interested. That is the way a good number of my mates are. Then there are the truly nice. Some of the people that I work with seem truly interested in me and how I am doing. I am always confused by this because I am used to the only surface nice people (here and at home). When I haven't seen them for a while, a few people always ask to make sure that I have been OK and if I seem stressed, they make me take time out to chill and relax. People back home wouldn't do that until they are good friends. Well, a few would but it is very rare.

It is interesting that people seem to respond the same everywhere to the "in-laws." When I mentioned that John's sister and mother were coming and staying with us for 2-3 weeks, one offered to let us use her holiday home and another offered to let us stay at her apartment which had more space! I was really touched by these offers. Others keep asking and checking in to see how things are going with them. I am really touched by their concern.

So, overall it has been a good year. I have achieved my goal of a change of pace and personal/professional growth. I am learning to work in slightly different ways and a different way of life. I have far more balance in my life now than I did before I moved. I do still miss Target and stores being open past 6:00 PM. I miss shopping at 7:30 at night. I also really miss affordable produce. I don't eat grapes very often because they are so expensive. I don't eat as much lettuce because it is bitter a lot. I do eat a lot of goat's cheese which I think is quite tasty. So, all in all, I think my adjustment has gone well. I am not sure how Dublin's adjustment to me has been, though. :)

No comments: