Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Construction workers

On Sunday night while talking on the phone, I realized that there were a bunch of ambulances, fire trucks, and police cars outside our apartment and along the quays. John told me that someone had either jumped or fallen in and they were rescuing the person. When I looked out the window, I saw the gardi wrestling with someone and handcuffing him. Apparently, he had gotten into a fight with a garda. Oops. So, there was a lot of commotion on the street in front of me. Sirens, onlookers, police, firefighters, divers.

And construction workers. While all the commotion was happening with the person in the river and another fighting the garda, the construction workers kept jackhammering the street. They looked like they were having fun and joking around but they were working. At 11:00 PM!!! Last night, we wanted to go to bed early. We couldn't. The construction work was too loud for us to sleep. Again, this was 11:00 PM.

Now, I am in favor of road work being done at night. It alleviates traffic difficulties for commuters. I am also impressed that construction workers are willing to work into the night. However, do they have to do noisy work so late at night? Couldn't they do the noisy work until, say, 10:30? That is a reasonable hour for people to go to sleep. I understand and agree with noisy work for all hours of the night for highway work. However, the quays are a residential area, albeit a loud one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AFAIK persons involved in road works are required to obtain a permit from the local authority in advance of commencement, this details the acceptable hours. You might look into that (I'm too lazy!)