Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Where's the beef?

On "Irish" TV, there is an ad for Spar. In this ad, the product displays change in front of costumers. The display starts out as something the costumer doesn't want and turns into something they do want. Well, except for the child who wants sweets/candy and the display turns into fruit. He hits it as his "mother" takes him out of the store.

Frequently when I am in my local SuperValu, I feel like the child in that ad. Not because I want sweets instead of fruit but because the store is rearranged so much that I never know where things are when I go in there. Desserts and bread are in one place one week, and a totally different place another week. Also, they recently added checkout lanes to the store. I think this totally messed it up since it took away merchandise area and the store is already small. Products also turn over quickly. For example, one week it may have fresh raw chicken or minced turkey, the next it doesn't.

Today John also noticed that they don't have the best advertising techniques. By best I mean honest and clear. The store is having a sale on a brand of pizza for 99 cents. John picked out two of the normal single sized pizzas that were right below the sign. When we checked out our groceries, they were 2.99 each! Of course John protested and after the check out girl stopped laughing was told that the smaller (minature) pizzas were on sale, not the ones we bought. He went back to look at the sign and there was another costumer making the same mistake...

Accident, I think not.

No comments: