Thursday, March 02, 2006

Porterhouse again

Last night J and I went to the Porterhouse. She needed to relax after moving a bunch of her stuff and I needed dinner. I had just gotten back from picking Caineal up from the vet. I took her to a different vet for a second opinion since the first one wouldn't x-ray her heart to check the state of her heart murmur. This one took x-rays of her heart, her backbone, and scanned her heart. She has really severe heart problems and currently is dehydrated and has fluid in her lungs (but none on them). One of the valves in her heart is blocked almost completely. Basically, she probably has about 6 months or less. That makes me really sad but I know that I have given her a good end of life and she seems pretty happy even though she can hardly walk sometimes from the arthritis and disc degeneration.

So, both of us needed a bit of a cheer up. We got there and since there was a football (soccer) match on, the place was pretty full. We ended up sitting by two guys from Frankfurt, Germany. They go away every year at this time because Frankfurt has a Carnival long weekend like Mardi Gras and they don't like to be there then. So, we chatted with them all evening. We had some interesting conversations about politics, which of course J tried to avoid and would go to the bathroom whenever it got to be too much for her. At the Porterhouse, they are having a stout festival. J tried the chocolate truffle stout but didn't like it. I tried the chocolate truffle stout with Tia Maria in it. That was tasty. It was fun to watch the two German guys drinking stout. One of them winced when he took drinks of it because he is used to lighter German beirs.

As we were walking back to my place, J told me that we have to broaden our bar repertoire. I am sad by that but she is probably right. We can go to the other Porterhouse but we have to start going to pubs outside of Temple Bar. I hope she has some good ones down by her or maybe there are some good ones between where she moved and where John and I live...

No comments: