Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Ka De We






Ka De We is Germany's largest department store. Since we had been to Harrods in London, I wanted to see how Ka De We compared. Well, that and the guidebook said that it had everything from yarn to washing machines. Yep, that means I wanted to see the yarn. :) So, we hopped off the bus tour to stop at the store and walked in. Wow! It is massive.

We found a store directory (really useful and needed) and found that the yarn was located at -1. We assumed that meant it was downstairs. So, we walked through the sock department looking for an escalator or lift (elevator) trying to find our way down. However, the elevators stopped at the ground floor. So, we looked through the sock department some more (it was the biggest sock department I have ever seen since it was the size of a small shop in Ireland). Nope, still no way to get below ground level. Then we looked at the store directory again. -1 wasn't in the main building. There was another building to the store across the street!

When we stepped outside, I noticed that there was also a pharmacy building. The craft building was labeled in a funky way (which I quite liked). We went inside and to look at yet more yarn. John found some sock yarn that he wants me to make socks for him (I will learn how to make socks later this month) and I found sock yarns to make for some friends and maybe a pair for myself as well. The yarn that John chose for himself is Opal sock yarn based on the colors in a Hundertwasser painting. I also found a wonderful lilac baby alpaca which I am hoping to make into a hat (and by I found, I mean John found). I was very happy to find when we got home and I showed off my finds to the girls at This is Knit that other than the alpaca, I got good prices. :)

Oh, we didn't have time to wander the rest of the store (aka the main building)...

No comments: