Friday, September 21, 2007

Buses and trains...

Yesterday, I left work a bit later than I had planned and of course traffic was mental. I got on the first bus that stopped by work (not the route that went to my final destination). Since I was going to knitting group, I needed to get to the dart and was going to miss the one that would get me there on time (not that I need to be there on time but I had wanted the girls' opinions on some wedding stuff before the group started). So, the bus stops on O'Connell street and the driver announced that it was the next stop would be Trinity College. On a whim, I asked the driver if the Trinity stop was closer to Tara Street of Pearse Street station. He said it was about halfway between the two but he would be going near Pearse if I stayed on the bus. He then asked me to go check to see if there was anyone upstairs so I did. Still not sure why he asked that. He then told me to stay on the bus and dropped me directly in front of Pearse station. I looked up at the bus stop sign and it seemed to be on his route. Anyway, I got off the bus, into Pearse and up to the platform and the train that I thought I had missed was arriving! I got on the train and made it only a few minutes later than I wanted to be.

This morning, I was running a bit late and it was raining (of course). I was standing in city centre waiting for a bus. I had waited about 15 minutes (unusual for me) and saw one of the buses that I could take. I jogged down to the stop and got to it as the bus pulled away. It barely stopped enough for the people to get off the bus! A guy who was also waiting for a bus knocked on the door of the bus (I am sure that the driver had seen us running for the bus), the driver waved his hands at him and said something. He didn't look happy. He then paused a bit and I thought he was going to let us on the bus. Nope, he pulled away! A couple minutes later, another bus pulled up (two of the same route one behind the other of course) and I got on the second bus because it was emptier. At least it was one of the fast routes. :)

No comments: