Sunday, April 08, 2007

Taxis

During the course of the week and a half that my sister and niece came out to visit, we took a few taxis. I took one the morning of their arrival to get to the airport. It cost me 17 Euro from city centre. On the way back, it was 25 Euro. On the way back to the airport yesterday it was 30 Euro. Now, that is quite the difference. I know there are differences in the cost for different times of day, extra cost for extra passengers and bags, but come on. There shouldn't be a 5 Euro difference for the same number of bags and people.

The reason the last taxi cost more was the route taken. Each taxi driver took a different route each trip to/from the airport. The driver with just me in the car took a "usual" route (there are 3). When my sister and niece were heading back to the airport, the driver went up past Clare Hall in Swords. Now, this is farther north than the airport and a good bit out of the way. Certainly not the most effective way to go, no matter what time of day it is (and it was early on a Sat morning with little traffic). When the drivers were going an out of the way route, I know I should say something, but I didn't. Dublin isn't that big and since I take a lot of taxis, I may have the driver again. I also can't help but wonder how much of this difference was the accent and that my sister and niece were obviously tourists.

No comments: