Monday, March 05, 2007

Blankie





On Saturday, I completed my second knitting project: a baby blanket. One of my mates is pregnant and due soon so I decided to make her a blanket. She is really sweet and I figured that it would be a good way to practice my knitting. For the project, I learned how to purl (the second type of stitch). I also learned how to make moss/seed stitch. The moss/seed stitch is difficult and I made mistakes in it but people have assured me that they look intentional. Either way, I am quite proud of the blanket.

Yesterday, I went to my favorite yarn shop (this is knit) and got some new stash. I also made a list of projects that I want to complete. Right now, I am making some swatches, playing with color, and learning new stitches. I have a bit of a stash as well. I also got enough yarn for a friend to make her sister-in-law a baby blanket. Since she felt the yarn I used for the baby blanket, she fell in love with it and is going to start using the "yummy" yarn (merino, cashmere, microfiber).

Today, I took the blankie to work, showed it off. I also gave my mate the blanket today. She loved it! It turns out that purple is one of her favorite colors. I knew there was a reason I liked her. :) When she saw it, she was in awe with it and said that it would be the blanket that she brought the baby home in! That was what I was hoping for: this would become a treasured gift. I hope it becomes the security blanket even though that means it will get worn out to bits. The three weeks it took to make it were well worth it (even though now I want my own blanket like it).

3 comments:

Diane said...

congratulations on completing your second project. Knitting is an a normal obsession...keep it up

Anonymous said...

It looks very nice. You should make a baby blankie for John and yourself.

Heidirific said...

I have thought about making a blanket for us, but in order for it to be a baby blanket, we'd have to have a baby. That isn't a four-legged fur baby and that's not happening any time soon...