Thursday, July 20, 2006

Busted

Today as I was waiting for the bus to go home from work, I noticed a Garda (police officer) had someone pulled over and seemed to be giving the person a ticket. When he was done and the driver drove off, the Garda faced the traffic for a few minutes and then stood in the middle of it to stop some cars. He waved to the one of them to pull over to the bus lane. Another car had stopped in the middle lane so this car had to get around them to pull over.

After a minute or so, the driver handed a card to the Garda and he seemed to be writing a ticket. Confused, I asked the lady waiting at the bus stop with me why the Garda pulled the driver over. She said that the car was speeding and it was the fourth one pulled over during her wait for the bus.

I asked her how the Garda knew that she was speeding since he didn't seem to have a radar gun. She said that they had something attached by their eye that tells the speeds. I am not sure that I believe her since the Garda did seem to be holding something. However if this is true, I am sure that police back home don't seem to be using this technology.

1 comment:

Declan said...

In alot of cases they work in pairs. One guy is down the road with a speed camera. He watches the cars go by and clocks the speeders. His partner is further on and pulls them over by the license plate.