Thursday, December 01, 2005

doctor's visit

On Monday I went to the doctor because I have been sick for about three weeks. I asked a couple mates for names of their doctors to figure out who to go to since I don't have insurance yet and haven't gone to the doctor here. One mate gave me the name of her doctor who has an "extended absence" greeting on her voicemail so you can't leave a message. I guess she must have gone out of practice, changed practices or is just on a really long vacation. Hmm.

Another mate recommended the practice he goes to and it is close to work. I called and got an appointment the same day! It was for 5:45 and since John is in London, I had to go home from work and walk Caineal and then catch the bus back to the doctor. So, I am waiting for the bus and take one of the 4 my mates told me would take me to Glasnevin. Well, at 5:43 I asked someone on the bus where we were because I didn't recognize the area in the dark. They told me I was in Drumcondra. Drumcondra is a little east of Glasnevin I think but busses do not go to both. So I got off the bus and started walking and looking for a taxi. I turned left on a street that seemed to be a major street. It wasn't for long. It was long and windy but headed in the generally correct direction.

Since I didn't have the doctor's office phone number with me, I called information to get the number and then called the doctor's office to tell them I was running late and was lost. The lady on the phone asked me where I was and what street I was on. I tried to explain to her that I didn't know: that was why I was lost. Finally, I saw someone in their car so I asked them what street I was on. They lady told me (I think she was a little freaked out but people tend to be helpful when they hear my accent). The lady at the doctor's office gave me directions from where I was and I got there about 20 minutes late. The doctor still saw me. The visit cost 50 Euro (same price citizens pay).

The doctor was very nice and looked younger than me. She asked me a few questions, asked if I had a fever. I said I didn't know since I don't have a thermometer. She didn't take my temperture, though. She then asked if I had been pushing on my cheeks because they were all red and swollen. I explained, no but I was walking outside for 20 minutes and they hurt a lot. It hurt to eat anything, even bananas! So she pushed really hard on my sinuses and agreed I had a sinus infection. We then discussed which antibiotics I was sentitive to and tried to figure out what they are called here. She prescribed a "really strong one that will get the infection out of the bone." It doesn't look seem as strong as others I have taken and I will be on it for 10 days. She also gave me a script for my migraine medicine since mine expired.

So I went to the pharmacy to get my drugs. They gave me the antibiotic just fine and asked how I usually take my Imigram (Imitrex). Apparently the script was only written for one dose! I told the pharmacist that sometimes I need two doses and am used to getting the whole box of 6 at a time. Since everyone except the poor pay for their own prescriptions, he gave it to me after a bit of convincing. He was concerned about the price: 19.50 per dose. I explained it was cheaper than in the states and it was fine (about $25 per dose). He also told me that there is a scheme in Ireland that no citizen has to pay over 85 Euro a month for medicine. If you do pay more, you fill out some forms and get your money back! I may not qualify since I am not a citizen, though. However, a mate told me that if I don't qualify for that scheme, I can get tax back for the cost of medicine over 85 Euro a month!

Today I am home sick. I am feeling better than Monday but it still hurts to eat food that requires chewing and I am getting tired of eating soft foods. My cheeks aren't constantly burning anymore but still hurt. I realized my mates were probably right that I should take a couple days off work to rest and get better. After all, I am going to Munich early Sat. morning and need to feel better for that. :)

No comments: