Saturday, November 26, 2005

Belated Thanksgiving

Today John and I made Thanksgiving dinner for some of my mates. I know that Thanksgiving was on Thursday but I had to work so I couldn't make dinner then. So we got up about 6:00 AM to continue thawing the turkey by putting it in cold water. Since I was exhausted and have a cold, I made John get up to put the turkey in cold water in the sink. As he started running the water, he realized that the turkey was too big for he sink (it wouldn't get covered). Since we didn't have a big bucket that was clean, we decided we had to use the bathtub. We ran lots of cold water to cover the turkey but it started to float so we had to use the new glass baking dishes to put on top of the turkey and keep it covered. Finally, we got the turkey covered, changed the water regularly and got the turkey thawed.

About 10:00 AM I started cooking and John started cleaning the dishes as I dirtied them. He was very helpful. The meal was done about 3:30 and we ate about 4:00 because a couple people were late (I told them to be at my place at 3:00). We had turkey, sweet potato/regular potato garlic mash, stuffing that I made from scratch, squash, bread, green bean casserole, corn, turkey, and pie. Lots of pie. Last night I made pumpkin and apple pies. I bought a pecan pie this morning because it was cheaper than making it. A mate made a lemon meringue pie that was also tasty.

I think everyone had a good time and we ate lots. Tomorrow I will buy a bigger pot or a slow cooker and make turkey soup so I can use some of the left over turkey. We have a lot of leftovers that I get to eat all week.

On Friday John got offered a 2-3 week contract in the London area so he will be flying out tomorrow. He is still looking in Dublin but there doesn't seem to be anything right now and having a European contact/reference should be good. He should be able to come home for Christmas also. :)

No comments: