Friday, November 25, 2005

shopping

On Wednesday I went shopping to try to find gingerbread cookies and/or a gingerbread ornament/stuffed thing for a lesson. I couldn't find either. When shopping in Marks and Spencer and looking at the cookies (biscuits), a lady asked out loud but seemingly not to me what the sticker "5 for 4" meant. When I didn't respond she looked at me as asked, "What does that mean?" So I told her that if you buy 5 of the little chocolates, you only pay for 4. She didn't really seem to understand but said "OK" and I walked away. As I turned around, another lady looked at me and said, "Are you Irish?" I responded that I was not. She then asked if I spoke English and I responded that I did. She explained she was French and had a voice mail message that she didn't understand because the lady talked too fast and wondered if I would be willing to listen to it and explain it to her. I said OK because what else was I supposed to say? So the message was basically a lady calling the other one saying her name and asking the recipient to phone her back. The French lady asked me what the lady calling wanted and I said I didn't know since she didn't say. After a bit, she processed that she knew the lady who called and she just wanted the French lady to phone her back. She still seemed confused as to why the lady called to begin with but I couldn't help her with that. I then continued my shopping in a different store.

No comments: