Tuesday, July 10, 2007

water water, I want water

Last night, I came home and John was doing dishes. He said that there was no cold water in the kitchen so he had burned his hands a bit doing the dishes. I said, "yeah, that happens" and started making dinner. While making dinner, we checked the pipes in the apartment and still no cold water in the kitchen (this has happened before). It was working in the bathroom, but not in the kitchen.

About 11:00 PM, we were getting ready to go to bed. I decided that I needed to figure out why our bedroom smelled musty (besides the fact that it has rained every day for the past month). I checked the usual culprits of the windows, floor, and carpet on the other side of the bedroom. Nope, not wet. I then started sniffing around on my side of the room. Yep, smelled musty. I picked up something that was on the floor. It was damp. I then checked the floor. Yep, it was damp. I then reached under the dresser. Yep, wet. I took out a pair of shoes that happened to be under the dresser. They had mold on them!!! Yes, I said mold on my sandals! I have thrown them out since they weren't comfortable anymore anyway. We then cleared off the dresser, took out the drawers, moved it and picked up the stuff that happened to be on the floor and vacuumed. Thank goodness for the Dyson. It cleaned well. We then dried it with my hair dryer.

During this process, we tried to figure out if we could see where the water was coming from. Nope, couldn't tell. We have two guesses. One, a couple bathtub tiles are loose and they could be leaking into the far wall. Two, it is coming from the walls/ceiling from all the rain.

So this morning, we wake up. John starts getting ready to shower. No water. None. Zip. He gets dressed and I go back to sleep. I got up a bit later and washed off with the face wipes I bought while in Galway because of their contaminated water. I then got ready to go to work. After work, I went to the DIY store and picked up the stuff we needed to fix the tub tiles. Now, you may wonder why we didn't just tell the landlord. Well, I feel bad because the tiles have been loose since we moved in and I've never said anything and it has caused water damage to the wall by the tub. So, I got the stuff and went home. I made frozen pizza for dinner because we still didn't have any water. John then started working on the bathroom and who should be at our door but our landlord giving us an update on the water.

In their infinite wisdom, the Dublin county council decided to turn our water off but not tell us. Apparently they verbally told the Internet cafe downstairs (they are supposed to give written warning). Well, they seem to have forgotten to turn the water back on! Oops. So, my landlord's plumber turned the water on and now we have water. We have also attempted to fix the tub so we'll see if it continues to leak and if it is the tub affecting the floor in the bedroom because that carpet is dry right now!

1 comment:

LauraLili said...

Oh ho ho ho ho! Random water troubles? I know your pain! Thank goodness your landlord was onto it!