Monday, January 01, 2007

The Lull

Exhausted, I lugged my suitcases onto the bus. It was already full so I made my way to the back and sat down, willing myself to stay awake after the overnight flight. Sitting in a daze, we arrived at the O'Connell stop. Once again, I pulled my heavy suitcases off the bus and start to walk towards the River Liffey.

Slowly, I pulled them down the street. In my haze, I noticed that the streets were almost empty. It was about 10:00 AM. It was Thursday. It was not a bank holiday. Still, there were as many people out as on a Sunday morning before the shops open (for anyone who has not been in city centre on a Sunday morning, that means it was empty). I checked my watch again. Yes, it was after 10:00 AM. Yes, it was light outside but still grey. No, there wasn't really anybody on the streets. I don't know if it was my exhaustion or the city's, but the city felt almost solemn. Maybe it was the greyness. Maybe it was the heavy, humid Dublin air that I quickly forgot about while I was home. Whatever it was, I felt like I was in a deserted town, not the city centre of Dublin.

Finally, I get to my apartment, unlocked the door to the building and then began to try to carry my heaviest suitcase up the three flights of stairs. Eventually I made it and then went back down for the other one. I guess that is what I get for bringing back the weight of a supermodel between the two bags (a heavy supermodel if you count my carry-on). I just couldn't resist the shopping at home...

After bringing up the second bag, I noticed that the streets were still empty. I turned on the TV and watched it for a while. And dozed. I periodically looked out the window. The streets were still deserted. It wasn't a bank holiday. It wasn't Christmas anymore but many of the stores were still closed and the people elsewhere, probably still sleeping or spending time with family.

Friday, I woke up about noon, looked out the window and noticed that the streets were still empty. I looked outside throughout the day and it was the same. Daylight but grey. Empty streets. Dark by 4:30 PM. Deserted town.

Saturday, I decided that I had to leave my apartment because I needed food and hadn't left since I got back on Thursday and I didn't know if the stores would be open Sunday or Monday. In the afternoon when I finally woke up, I went grocery shopping. Finally, I saw people. People! Shoppers! It looked like a pretty average Saturday. I was actually kind of disappointed because it was difficult to carry the two large bags of groceries around the people. Many of them also seemed oblivious to the fact that I had two huge bags on my shoulders. Eventually, I made it back, unpacked my food and then made some dinner. I stayed in the rest of the night.

No comments: