Sunday, May 07, 2006

Prado tables








At the Prado, there were many beautiful inlaid tables throughout the museum. John's sister C teased me that I was more interested in the tables and spent more time looking at them than the art on the walls even though the art was far more famous, possibly more "important."

In general, I appreciate three dimensional art more than two dimensional, other than photographs. I am not really sure why except that there is more to look at. When we look at sculptures that are hundreds or even thousands of years old, I am in awe of the techniques used and wonder how the artists got such detail. I wonder the same thing about paintings but the three dimensional stuff just resonates more with me. I also take a lot of pictures of wood work and stained glass because my father is interested in them and appreciates the pictures that I send him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really liked the tables,too, Heidi. Don't remember teasing you about looking at them. Sorry if I did. I do tend to go to museums more for the paintings, but once there I enjoy the sculptures, textiles, and decorative arts as well. You can only look at so many paintings in one day. The world would not be nearly so interesting without three-dimensional artwork.