Sunday, March 12, 2006

Budweiser at Guiness!

Yesterday John, J and I went to see the Irish Teacher's Association's production of Suisical the Musical. It was good. I had seen this musical last year with my previous job. One of the local high schools had put it on and dress rehearsal was free for the local schools so we went with the students. I found it very interesting that the high school's stage and sound system were far better than the Rupert Guiness Theatre.

It was also interesting to me that I compared the production that I saw yesterday to the one I saw last year. Almost everything except the story/lyrics were different. I expect that for plays, less for musicals. Overall, it seemed that that high school production had a bigger budget. I did like yesterday's performance. I also really enjoyed watching a little boy sitting in front of me. He was really cute. He had a hard time sitting and sat on the floor and by the wall at times. Other times, he put his hands over his ears because it was too loud. I wanted to do the same but didn't. He also danced and clapped a lot when he liked something. Ahh, the freedom of children. They are so much fun to watch.

After the performance, J wanted to look for a shirt in the Guiness store. Since it was close by, we went shopping and then snuck up to the bar to have a Guiness. You aren't supposed to go to the bar without paying the admission fee to the whole "museum." However, on your way out, there is one set of stairs. To the left, they go up to the rest of the building, to the right they go out to the street. Since we wanted a drink and had seen the exhibits (not that great by the way), we went left. We took the stairs up a couple flights and the elevator the rest of the way to the bar.

We got to the bar and ordered our drinks. Since the bar was pretty empty, I actually looked at what was on tap. Cider, a lighter form of Guiness, and.... Budweiser were on tap!!! Now, that just isn't right. The bartender said we would be surprised how many people ordered Bud there. But it just isn't right that one of the worst American "beers" would be on tap at the Guiness storehouse bar. Maybe I could understand it if they had a good American beer on tap, but Budweiser?

After going to the storehouse, we decided we were hungry and went to the Porterhouse Central for dinner and more drinking. We were going to go to the local Porterhouse but a friend was walking up from a southern suburb so we went to a different one. This Porterhouse was fine. It wasn't the same as the one we normally go to. The menu was different, they had different cider on tap, and about 10:00 PM it turned into a club feel, complete with loud music and revolving coloured lights! We had to leave because the lights were giving us headaches.

No comments: